Affordable Connectivity Program: Helps Pay for Internet Services and Devices
Frequently Asked Technology Questions
How do I find my username and password and access PowerSchool's Parent Portal? For detailed instructions on accessing PowerSchool for families and students 7th-12th grade, click here; for families and students of TK-6th graders, click here. To access Google Classroom or student email, see below.
What is the link to the PowerSchool parent portal?
- PowerSchool for parents and students can be found here.
- Parents/guardians will use their entire email address to login
- Staff and students do NOT include @hpsk12.net when they login.
- We encourage you to also download the PowerSchool and School Messenger apps.
How do I find my student's password?
- For students in Transitional Kindergarten through 6th grade, parents can find the student's username and password under School Information in PowerSchool.
- For students in 7th-12th grade, their username can be found under School Information in PowerSchool. Passwords get reset to the student number each summer. They need to change their password before they will be able to log into PowerSchool, GoogleClassroom or their email.
How do I change my password?
- If parents have forgotten their PowerSchool password, they can reset their password by clicking the "forgot password" link.
- For access to Holt accounts, students in grades 7th-12th can change their password here.
- If a student in 7th-12th grade needs their password reset, they can ask their library teacher to reset it.
- Note - this password is used for all District accounts, such as PowerSchool and Google Classroom.
How do I know if I submitted the back-to-school paperwork?
The Parent Portal web version is recommended. Login > click on Forms > status will show
What apps help me access my/my student's school information? We highly recommend downloading the PowerSchool and School Messenger apps. Both are free.
How does my student access their Google Classroom?
- To log into Google Classroom, students must either be invited by their teacher or have a code sent to them by the teacher.
- They use their Holt username (their entire Holt email address) and password to log in
How do I get help with Google Classroom?
- If you are having trouble accessing Google Classroom, please work with your classroom teacher to ensure you have the right code.
- Your username is your school email address.
- If you are unable to log in to Google Classroom or your email (grades 5-12), please ask your library teacher for help.
How do I access school email?
- Students in grades 5-12 have a school email.
- Students in grades 5-8 can only receive emails from users within the hpsk12.net domain.
- They can log into their Outlook email using their HPS credential.
What to do I do if I get the error, "You do not have access to Gmail"?
- Students have Outlook email accounts, NOT Gmail.
- To access email, they need to log into Outlook.
How do I access Microsoft Office for my student? Follow the directions found here.
- How do parents/students complete the back-to-school paperwork including the Acceptable Use Policy so that they may access district technology?
- When parents/guardians log into PowerSchool, they will see Forms as on option on the left side menu bar.
- The Student Annual Update is in the Back-to-School section.
Please review the District's 1:1 Handbook that provides guidelines
- Taking care of District Chromebooks
- Troubleshooting methods
- How to get more help if the device still doesn't work after troubleshooting
- Potential fees to fix a device
Accidental device protection is available at the beginning of the school year. The application is in the Forms section of PowerSchool's Parent Portal.
If you are having trouble logging into the Chromebook, please review the Student Logins section.
You may also visit the Chromebook help page that Google is developing for specific questions.
If you are still having trouble with the Chromebook, please let your teacher know.
Students log into Google Classroom using their HPS email address and password, the same one used to log into District-issued Chromebooks.
The Google Junior Training Series includes short videos on how to do just about anything with Google Classroom, such as Drive, Chrome, Docs, Slides, Sheets, and Drawings. Look through the videos to find the program and skills you are interested in learning.
Google Classroom for Students has written directions for navigating Google Classroom.
Google Classroom for Teachers has written directions for navigating Google Classroom.
To switch between multiple Google accounts Directions
PowerSchool Info & Help
For a new parent account, contact the administrative assistant in the building where your child attends.
PowerSchool App: District Code = MFQW
- Parents/guardians - username is the email address that is on file with the District.
- Students' usernames do NOT include @hpsk12.net
Username Incorrect Error > Clear the web browser cache > Directions to clear the cache in Google Chrome
PowerSchool's Parent & Student Resource Center offers answers to FAQs.
For more detailed information on what students and parents can do in PowerSchool, please review the PowerSchool Student and Parent Portal User Guide. Page three has a table of contents that may be helpful.
School Email (Outlook)
HPS students have Outlook email accounts. Usernames and passwords are the same as the ones they use to log into
- Google Classroom (username =full email address)
- PowerSchool (just username - do NOT include @hpsk12.net)
Students in grades 5 - 12 have school email accounts.
- Students in grades 5-8 can only send and receive email from users within the hpsk12.net domain.
- Students in grades 9-12 can send and receive email messages from outside of the hpsk12.net domain.
Please remember that use of your @hpsk12.net email needs to follow the Acceptable Use Policy. All emails (including deleted mail) will remain on HPS servers and are accessible if needed for investigation
Students have the same username for District platforms.
Beginning of the Year Password Reset
- Parents: log into the PowerSchool Parent Portal
- Click on School Information (tab on the left)
- Student usernames and student numbers are located under the HPS Technology Related Information heading.
- Password = HPS Student ID number
Students in grades 7 - 12 MUST change their passwords in order to log into PowerSchool, Google Classroom, and Outlook (HPS email) accounts
- Username = HPS assigned username + @hpsk12.net (full HPS email address) and can be found in PowerSchool. See directions above.
- Old Password = Student ID (for beginning of the year only)
- Create a new password and type in both "New Password" fields
- Password/Passphrase requirements
- Minimally 8 characters long
- Must include at least one
- Capital letter
- Lowercase letter
- Special character - examples include but are not limited to ! # @ . / $ % ,
- Screencast directions
- PDF directions
- Username = Student HPS email address (username + @hpsk12.net)
- Password = Student created password
- Username = Student HPS assigned username
- Password = Student created password
- Username = Student HPS assigned username - do NOT include @hpsk12.net
- Password = Student created password
SchoolMessenger allows users to personalize communications from a school building and district. Free app download from the Apple App and Google Play stores.
- View the last 30 days of SchoolMessenger messages
- Change communication preferences
- Opt-into Push notifications - mobile only
- Update SchoolMessenger contact info - add phone numbers, email addresses, and SMS text message numbers
How to Sign up
- After downloading the app, click "Sign up" at the top of the page
- Enter your email address that is on file with the District
- Create a password
- Verify your email in your personal email account
- After authenticating via your email, return to SchoolMessenger and sign in using the email and password that was just verified.
Unsubscribing - NOT RECOMMENDED
When a user unsubscribes from any District communication, it unsubscribes that user from ALL District communication including messages from
- Building Principals
- Dr. Hornak
- Transportation info
- Snow Day alerts
- Other emergency type of messages
At the beginning of the school year, the technology department is experiencing higher volume of questions than normal. Thank you for your patience. Most technology questions can be answered in the this portion of our website or by contacting the building where your student attends.
For questions about
- Getting a Chromebook, please contact your student's building principal.
- A teacher's Google Classroom or the tools within the Classroom, please contact your student's classroom teacher.
- Automated messages (phone calls, texts and email messages), contact the administrative assistant in the building where your child attends school.